Parks & Recreation
Cowboy Recreation and Nature Trail
The Nebraska Cowboy Recreation and Nature Trail is part of the Great American Rail-Trail. It is a great place to bike, walk, and horseback ride through Holt County. You will see beautiful Holt County country-side and visit unique and friendly communities along the trail. The Cowboy Recreation and Nature Trail runs northwest through Holt County along Nebraska Hwy. 275 and Hwy. 20. There are several Holt County communities along the trail, including Ewing, Inman, O’Neill, Emmet, Atkinson, and Stuart.
The Cowboy Recreation and Nature Trail currently runs 195 miles across northern Nebraska, following the old Chicago & Northwestern rail route from Norfolk in the east to Valentine in the west. The railroad called this the “Cowboy Line.” To learn more about the Cowboy Recreation and Nature Trail visit:
Cowboy Recreation and Nature Trail Issue Reporting
Trail users can report issues on the Cowboy Trail so Nebraska Game and Parks Commission (NGPC) staff can quickly assess issues that may appear on the trail.
Scan the QR Code with your smart phone camera to access the NGPC Cowboy Trail Issue Reporting Form or click on the button below. For current closures and conditions of the Cowboy Trail please click here.
Parks & Recreation by Community
- Atkinson Mill Race Park & Campground – 47450 877th Road
- Atkinson – Stuart Country Club – 47453 US Hwy 20 (402) 925-5330
- Atkinson Swimming Pool & City Park – 700 N. Main Street (402) 925-5745
- Sturdevant-McKee Foundation Museum – 308 S. Main Street (402) 340-2288
- Perkins Memorial Park – playground, covered picnic shelter, indoor event space, baseball/softball fields located at 106 Perkins Street, Chambers, NE.
- Ewing Memorial Park
- Ewing Village Park
- Summerland Golf Course-51020 857th Road (402) 626-7555
- O’Neill Country Club and Golf Course – 9-hole semi-private golf course located at 49175 W. Hynes Avenue, (402) 336-1676.
- Carney Park – campground with showers, rodeo grounds, sand volleyball court, softball fields, horseshoes, fishing pond, and playground located in south O’Neill, east of US Hwy. 281.
- Ford Park and Swimming Pool – playground, covered picnic areas, basketball court, and swimming pool located one block north of US Hwy. 281 on Madison/Jefferson Streets.
- Lion’s Kiddie Park – playground, basketball court, tennis court and covered picnic areas located on Tipperary Street between 5th and 7th Streets.
- Torpin’s Soccer Fields – north on 4th street, east of O’Neill Elementary School on Kros Dr.
- O’Neill Walking/Biking Trail – located east of O’Neill Elementary School at 4th and Kros Dr.
- Schaffer Park Complex – O’Neill Ball Fields and basketball courts located east of US Hwy. 281 on Kros Dr.
- Honey Creek Observatory – Northwest of O’Neill on US Hwy. 281.
- Kippure Adventure Park – obstacle course fitness park located on Tipperary Street between 7th and 9th Streets.
- Page City Park
- Stuart Park – playground, sand volleyball court, tennis and skating court, ice skating (winter only), baseball/softball fields, batting cages, soccer and football field, rodeo grounds, walking trail, splash pad, campgrounds located at 208 E. 7th Street, Stuart, NE.
- White Horse Museum & Heritage Village – 203 S. Main Street, Stuart, NE. Open daily from 1:30 – 4:30 PM Memorial Day through Labor Day.
- Stuart Raceway – car racing dirt track located at 702 E. 2nd Street, Stuart, NE. Races run May through August.